Unless you purchase a home that is brand new any property you buy comes with some history and in some cases, this may not be a good thing. For example, what if you find out the property you are interested in has a previous history of fire damage? What should you know about this type of property? And is it a wise choice?
When it comes to fire-damaged properties and whether they are a sound investment, so much will depend on the way the damage was treated afterward and how quickly it was done. The ill-effects of a fire can last for a long time after the fire was extinguished and can leave behind hazardous, toxic substances. Damage caused by smoke is another big issue. Even fires that are small and contained will rapidly fill the whole house with smoke, leaving behind a lot of damage. This damage must be cleaned up thoroughly and swiftly, otherwise, these toxic substances could still be present in the home.
Another principal reason for long-term problems with fire-damaged properties is water damage. A lot of water is needed to put out a house fire. Again, this needs to be cleaned up and treated in the proper manner to avoid the problems associated with water damage such as mold.
If you want to make sure that the property you are interested in has no long-term effects from its previous history of fire, it is very important to have it inspected by a qualified home inspector who will be able to find out the real condition of the home.